Sliding Tube Furnaces For Rapid Heating & CoolingLab & Furnace
Tube furnaces provide terrific control over the heating ramp rate. Thanks to step programming, the heating process is precise and automated.
However, control over cooling is far less granular. Most facilities use a few techniques that range from completely passive to more rapid, enhanced methods.
Our sliding tube furnace implements two of these methods safely and simply, with no added equipment or increased contamination risk.
Common cooling techniques
The simplest approach is to move the sample out of the furnace and into a cool area. While that’s simple and self-explanatory, it’s not always safe or practical.
Consequently, some furnaces have movable insulation panels that let heat escape while the sample remains in place.
Other furnaces achieve more rapid cooling with forced ambient or chilled air. This grants more control over cooling speed, and may improve temperature uniformity during cooling.
Finally, a water-cooled heat exchanger cools more rapidly yet, and can even maintain atmospheric control.
However, the last two methods require additional equipment, configuration, and monitoring. For most applications, moving the sample and/or the insulation are the best balance of simplicity and efficiency.
Why use a sliding tube furnace?
Physically moving samples is often fraught with risks and complications. Movable insulation is arugably more user-friendly, but requires structural changes to the furnace itself.
Our sliding tube furnace delivers the same results with fewer steps, no significant heat escape, and no added potential for contamination. Its sliding rail mount is one of the most robust ways to achieve two things:
- Abrupt heating, since the furnace can reach its operating temperature before it’s positioned over the sample. This is a straightforward solution for samples that need to avoid gradual, stepped heating.
- Rapid, passive cooling via sudden exposure to ambient temperatures. The newly exposed tube cools quickly, then the sample follows suit, all without the contamination risk of external air.
Standard specs & customization options
The baseline specs of our sliding tube furnace are as follows:
- Max temperature: 1200℃
- Temperature controller: programmable (FC-1000)
- Hot zone: 300mm
- Power: 220v, 1￠,9.5a
- Mass flow controller: MC-1EA
- Stainless steel pipe & connector
- Gas sealing mask: 1 set (50⌀)
- Quartz tube: outside 50⌀ (length 1500mm)
- Rail frame material: AL
- Vacuum pump: 1 set (oil mist trap)
As with nearly all SH Scientific furnaces, our sliding tube models can be customized for your facility and workflow.
Please contact our US sales office for general inquiries, technical details, or to discuss customization options.
Why SH Scientific?
With so many furnace brands now available, we’re all the more appreciative that you’re considering an SH model.
Rather than cutting corners to offer tantalizingly low prices, we believe some things just aren’t worth sacrificing. We personally oversee each step of design and manufacturing, so every SH customer can count on:
- Uncompromising safety
- Top-tier workmanship and components for a long, low-hassle lifespan
- Thoughtful, intuitive design rooted in real-world feedback, not hasty imitation
- Comprehensive documentation and personal support
- A transparent supply chain trusted by multinational ODM clients and leading US agencies and universities
Whether it’s to talk tech, vet our capabilities, or learn more about our line, we look forward to hearing from you.